2017 Pinot Noir "Lauren's Cuvee"

Pinot-Dark-Background.jpg
Pinot-Dark-Background.jpg

2017 Pinot Noir "Lauren's Cuvee"

44.00

“Lauren’s Cuvée” is a tribute to the love of my life. It is also a bond we share to this tremendous vineyard site, a place that has given us so many indelible memories.

Vintage

The 2017 vintage was close to ideal with mild weather throughout the growing season. Harvest started about two weeks early and allowed for picking at optimal ripeness. Overall quality was exceptional.

Elke Home Ranch

The Elke Home Ranch lies west of Boonville, CA in the Anderson Valley, just twenty miles from the chilly Pacific Ocean. Mary Elke was a pioneering grape grower in the Anderson Valley, and this jewel box vineyard was her original apple orchard, replanted in the late 1980s. Four different clones of Pinot Noir are planted, including renowned Pommard and the extremely rare heritage clones, Stang and Elliott. Tempered by cool marine air and a wide swing in diurnal temperatures, soils are comprised of sandy, gravelly alluvial loam with an underlying clay base. Organic practices are employed in the vineyard. The vines are meticulously cane-pruned to optimize vine balance between vigor and yield.

Vinification

The grapes were selected from the Pommard, Stang and Elliot clones. They were picked at relatively low Brix for a balance point with restrained alcohol and a touch higher acidity than most other red wines. 80% of the grapes were gently de-stemmed into fermentation bins. The remaining 20% were placed in one of the fermentation bins, without being de-stemmed, as whole clusters. The wine was aged for 10 months in French Oak barrels with less than 20% being new, the intent being to add complexity without overt presence of new oak. The wine was racked once and bottled without fining or filtering.

Tasting Notes

The wine is a beautiful red color. It initially exhibits vibrant aromas of rose petal, violets, fresh strawberry, and pie crust. With time, the wine evolves to reveal a distinct earthiness and subtle flavors of wild mushrooms, cedar, rhubarb, and black tea. This aromatic wine is characterized by floral elements, and exudes a bright elegant structure with a medium weight mouthfeel, lifting acidity and velvety softness. Fabulous flavors of cherry and tart raspberry seem to linger forever in the finish. Drink now or age for 10-15 years. The wine is an excellent pair with food.

Technical Information

Harvest Date: September 8, 2017, Sugar: 23.7 degrees Brix, Titratable Acidity: 5.3 g/l, pH: 3.62, Alcohol: 13.5%, Cases produced: 100.

Quantity:
Add To Cart